Monday, April 23, 2012

Well YES, sir

I get a lot of attention when I take Milo and Lily out for a walk. It's not necessarily what I'm going for, considering I'm usually scrubby, sweaty, and red-faced in no time, but people can't help it. If I had one of those nifty double strollers, no one would give us a second glance, but it's the fact that I'm wearing one baby and pushing a toddler in the jog stroller that's so eye-grabbing. And the weirdest thing of all is that it seems to be older men who can't help but gawk...

I was hauling it through a different neighborhood than we usually walk in this morning, and no fewer than three old men (one with a full Santa beard and another with two yippy dogs) all mentioned how I must be getting quite the workout and that I really had my hands full. The kicker was the man who came strolling down his driveway in a wifebeater and jersey shorts, making conversation all the way. "Well my God, girl, looks like you've got your hands full!"

"Yes, sir, I do."

"Well I couldn't do all that. How are you doing that?"

"Well, sir, it's just sheer determination to get out of the house." (insert awkward giggle) "It's not that big a deal."

"My God. I mean, you've got your hands full with those two!"

"Yes, sir."

I continued walking, but he just couldn't stop shouting down the street to me as I left.

"I mean, two babies! I couldn't do all that. Pushing one and toting the other."

"Thanks!" I called over my shoulder, and then he went all out.

"You know what? You's one hell of a woman! Toting that one and pushing the little guy. You's one hell of a woman!"

"Thank you, sir! Have a great morning!"

"One hell of a woman!"

Well, yes, sir, random old man. Yes I am. Thank you for reminding me and letting me remind everyone else. I have no idea how long he kept talking about it after I left. Maybe he was just starved for attention and trying to carry on a conversation with the first person he saw? I'd rather take it as the nicest compliment I've been paid in a while.

2 comments: